Childcare Teacher Job Description
Education and/or Experience Requirements
Mental and Physical Requirements
- must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- high school students must have previous childcare experience.
- college degree and/or at least one year's experience in classroom environment is preferred.
Must be able to:
Must be able to do the following repeatedly:
- make correct life and death decisions in an emergency situation without the assistance or advice of another staff person.
- correctly assess appropriateness of own actions as determined by standard early childhood development theories in relation to working with children.
- within reason, remember directions/instructions and follow them accurately.
- have patience, tolerance and understanding of the stages of a child's development.
Partial Job Responsibilities:
- bend/lean over, squat, stretch, twist, reach, run
- stand for long periods of time
- sit on the floor, get up from the floor, get down on the floor, sit on knees
- lift/carry objects up to 35 pounds
- play with children, both indoor and outdoors
- vacuum floors, wipe/dust furniture
- catch a child if he/she runs away
- see and hear adequately so that a child can be supervised safely and appropriately
- model clear and correct grammar for children to imitate
- be familiar with and able to carry out a thematic literature based educational program
- prepare lesson plans and instructional materials
- prepare and post lesson plans on classroom bulletin board
- have a "team player" attitude
- on staff person per classroom is required to have CPR and First Aid training
- maintain professional rapport with parents, staff and children-be familiar with discipline philosophy of Caring Corner (natural consequences)
- conduct parent conferences as needed, keep director informed of any problem areas
- any verbal communication with parents concerning problems with their child should be discussed with the director beforehand.
- be responsible for all physical well being of the children including clean up of all "accidents". Do not send soiled clothing home without rinsing out first.
- supervise children indoor and outdoors NO PERSONAL PHONE CALLS WITHOUT PRIOR APPROVAL FROM DIRECTOR
- be familiar with dismissal procedure of children
- earn 15 training hours per school year
- maintain consistent attendance
- dress appropriately
- read DHS Minimum Standard for Child Care Centers
- smoking is prohibited on Caring Corner property
- may be required to submit to a random drug test